Wednesday, September 24, 2008

58 Pints of Jam!


'Tis the season for jars and fruit and pectin and endless hours stirring and watching. This was my big canning week. So far this summer I have made 58 pints of plum jam, 6 quarts or salsa, 21 quarts of tomatoes, 8 half pints of pesto and 6 half pints of relish.
Why so much jam? My four children (plus Steve, that makes five children, right?) ate 52 pints of plum jam last year. They love the plum jam made from the trees in our back yard and complain if I try to feed them anything else. This year, they are bigger and hungrier...I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. I still have my sights set on spaghetti sauce and maybe apple sauce. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Hi-

Did you do the blog entry while watching? Sounds delicious.

Loved the entry about the retreat.