Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Fabulous Farting Futon (and other stories)


This past weekend was our Relief Society retreat. The theme we chose as a Relief Society Presidency was "For where your treasure is, there will be your heart also." (Matthew 6:21)

This retreat was something I inherited when I became the Enrichment Counselor, and to be honest, the whole thing really stressed me out. The former counselor had reserved Yurts at Beverly Beach at the gorgeous Oregon Coast. I just had to get people there, (and feed them, and arrange speakers, and make sure they have fun, and get them into the right yurts with people they would get along with...YIKES!)

Sooooo...I pretty much begged and threatened my friends. I shamelessly played the "you have to support me because you are my friend" card. After all was said and done, we had about 35 sisters together laughing, playing, walking on the beach together, and learning to love each other on a level that could never be achieved at church on Sunday.

We had three fabulous speakers. Rachel Nielsen, Sarah Castleton, and Peggy McIlmoil...three amazing women at three different stages in life (pre-kids, right in the middle of mom life, and kids are grown) told us about the treasures in their lives.

Now to the part you've been dying to hear about...the fabulous farting futon! My yurt included me, Julene, Sarah, Natalie, and Jackie. Sarah and I threw our sleeping bags on the futon for the night. After the fireside, we dispersed to our yurts for either more fun and frolic (and a warning or two from the Park Rangers because we were too loud,) or a little shut eye. We got set up for the night and sat down on the futon...from Sarah's direction there was this long farting sound that made us all look her direction. "It wasn't me!!!" she roared. Then, we discovered that every time we moved, the futon would make very real sounding "farts." It was like all five moms suddenly transformed into 10-year-old boys!! Every time we heard it, our yurt would erupt with uncontrollable laughter. What a nightmare! How are we ever going to sleep?! This went on and on (it was probably hours, we're a little slow on the draw.) At some point, Sarah picked up her two pillows an realized that there was a little "fart" machine under her pillows and Natalie held the remote. OH, MY, GOSH!!! We laughed so hard! They got us and it was a really good one.

2 comments:

Our Family said...

I am in tears reading this. It is bringing back to Friday night when we all could not stop laughing. And then you and Sarah thinking it was the mattress was even funnier! And this went on for around 2 hours!!!! I am shocked we did not get kicked out for being so loud (and almost running the guy over) Thanks for such a great time.
-Natalie

Darilyn said...

This does my heart some good to read about your Relief Society retreat. I miss those. And your story is hilarious.

Kris, i have been patiently waiting for you to post more stuff on your blog. I had added your blog to my google reader so I would get notified when you had updates. I just checked it when you made your comment on mine and YOU WEREN'T THERE. So now I have tons of catching up to do. So thanks for checking in on mine.