Thursday, October 2, 2008

Corn Chowder


I've promised a few people this recipe, so I thought I would put it on. This is the chowder I brought to the Coast for Retreat. I got the original recipe from my sister in law (Annette,) nearly two decades ago. I, of course, have tweaked it beyond recognition of that original yummy chowder she served us when we visited them in Provo as newlyweds.
I make it a little different every time, I can't help it, that's just me.

Corn Chowder ala Kris (serves 6 to 8)

6 slices of bacon, fried

1 onion, chopped

1 large green pepper, chopped

2-3 TBL flour

3 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 cup dry white wine or sherry (optional)

3 cups corn (I only use the corn we froze from grandpa's garden)

1 large potato, grated (yesterday, I used red potatoes and cut them into large cubes, it was good too.)

1 cup heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2

In a frying pan, fry bacon until crisp. Set aside. Add onion and pepper to the bacon fat and saute until softened. Transfer to a large stock pot and sprinkle with flour, cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. In the frying pan, add wine or sherry to deglaze the pan, reduce by half. Add broth to stock pot and let thicken. Introduce potatoes and corn along with the reduced wine (sometimes, I even double the amount of corn, if I want it to be really "corny".) Cook until potatoes are cooked through. Add back the crumbled bacon. The very last thing should be the cream, once it is added, don't boil the chowder, just heat through.

3 comments:

Our Family said...

Thank you for the recipe. It was delicious!!!!

-Natalie

The Ditto clan said...

I can't wait to try this! And keep posting more recipes, you are an amazing cook!

Katie said...

I saw your post on Darilyn's blog and I thought, "Hey, I know her!" Your kids are all grown up! I didn't get to see them this summer, but it was great to see you, even briefly. I am excited to try your recipe. I always did enjoy your cooking and cooking tips.