Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Crazy Blogger?

OK, I think I've officially crossed over into crazy blogger territory. I've spent a lot of time in the "not me, look how blog crazy my friends are," zone. I have friends who post multiple times a day, who spend lots of time making their blogs oh so very cute, and who track every hit (you all know who you are.) I had a phone conversation with a friend one day while blog surfing and she said "I can see that you're on my blog right now," HOW does she DO that? Do you know there are people who actually go out and comment on total strangers blogs to generate traffic on their own blog? Now THAT'S what I call crazy!

Me? I post a few times a month, my blog is still basic black...no cute wall paper...no blinking phrases, but I have come to realize that I am (probably) no less crazy (maybe more.) I LOVE the "visitor map" on stats counter and look at it every time I log on (no, not every day, I try not to be completely obsessive) and last week I noticed I got a hit from Vietnam (our friend Paul was there on business, and must have been REAL bored.) This was not the first international hit I've had, but I have to admit that I like seeing those red "pins" go up in obscure places on the map.
Soooooo
, I decided to take a proactive (aka crazy) approach. My good friend is a commercial pilot and another good friend travels for work, so I fired off a couple of little e-mails..."hey, would you hit my blog when you travel outside the country." OK, in hind-site, this could be construed as wacko...but that's how it went down. Less than an hour later, my cell phone rings and the caller ID comes up "James A." and of course, I answer.
Me:
"Hey, what are you doing?"
J. A. "Do I need to make you an appointment with a therapist?"
Me: "What are you talking about?"
J. A. "Don't you think that whole blog hit thing is a little crazy?"
Me: "Noooo (maybe)... I'm so far down on the crazy blogger scale, I'm practically normal!" (denial, denial, denial)
The rest of the conversation sounded a little like Charlie Brown's teacher "wah wah wah wah waahhh" With me thinking "wow, that was a little crazy, how did I get here?" I think I can sum up this entire episode in two words SLIPPERY SLOPE!
OH MY GOSH! I think I was just part of an intervention!
So my question is...what makes a crazy blogger?


Oh, and by the way, if you leave the country, could you visit my blog while you're there?

5 comments:

The Loftins said...

you are hillarious and I too enjoy seeing with my little counter thing how many hits I've had. It always suprises me. I think it's probably more constructive than TV any day....depending upon what's on I guess.

wild4words said...

I live for my stats. It's sad, but this is my audience... I get very excited when the numbers go up... until I note that the big posting getting all the hits is the one about how disgusting stuff was coming out of my head...

Not the in-depth analysis I had about my hideous desk at work. Oh wait... that was my OLD blog.

Sigh... see? I'm crazy too.

Katie said...

I am representing the East coast for you! Merry Christmas! BTW google analytics is a great site for seeing your traffic. You should try it!

Kris Farrar said...

I just "put up a pin" in Belgium! Thanks, James, you are a true friend...you call me on the carpet and then support my craziness anyway! Love ya!

The Ditto clan said...

I'm going to mexico in February, i'll try to find internet access. :)