Monday, December 1, 2008

Gingerbread Oatmeal

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Or, at least, I'll bet it is somewhere. Here, in Western Oregon, it still looks a lot like Fall. So, on this very first day of December, I thought I would give my friends and family a gift that is just from me (and lets face it, with the way things are going over at HP, it might be all you get.) I'm sure I'm deluded, but I (in my mind) created this recipe, we love it... it is warm and comforting and tastes just like Christmas.



Gingerbread Oatmeal
2 adult servings (or me and the two little kids)

1 cup regular old fashioned oatmeal
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp (scant) ginger powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2-3 Tbl molasses (if you like it sweeter...add more!)
1/4 cup craisins
1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (the green ones, sometimes called pepita)

Cook on the stove top in a small sauce pan for about 5 minutes until thick, creamy, and steaming. Serve with a big mound of spray-can whipped cream on top.

Now change it up "Kris" style; Pecans are really yummy in it, use raisins or dried apples instead of craisins. Sometimes, I sprinkle a little crystallized ginger on top, but only do that if you are a BIG ginger fan. BUT, don't mess with the whipped cream...that is a MUST!

I would take a picture to show you (but mostly, to show off my beloved Fiestaware,) but I already ate it all...Sorry :(
Merry Christmas to all and to all a GOOD breakfast!!

3 comments:

Our Family said...

Sounds good - I will have to try it. Did I ever tell you that I did make your corn chowder soup? It was good but not as good as yours. Scott really liked it and said it tasted even better the second day when he ate the leftovers. I also told him of the other soup you made - that too was delicious (as well as everything else that I have tasted of yours! :) Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

-Natalie

Darilyn said...

Where is the picture? I want to see all this warm goodness. This sounds divine. I'm a huge oatmeal fan and this is the perfect dish for me. Plus, when have any of your recipes been bad? NEVER. Gosh, now I"m missing your cookies and I'm going to be thinking of them all day.

wild4words said...

Oooh! This sounds so good! Ok. I'll have to put it together for my family. I'm leaning towards pecans too, but I'll try it "straight" first.

:)
Shannon