Sunday, January 4, 2009

Facebook Soup

my "status" line on facebook.... "Kris is baking bread"

Kent says: Ummm - Sounds goood. But its probably all low cal and stuff. What's my home boy Steve up to?

I say: Not lo cal, regular old honey wheat bread. I don't waste my energy making stuff that tastes like crap. We're having the bread with cajun bean soup for dinner. Steve and Kraig are out running, it's their favorite thing to do together. Well, kinda together, Kraig totally kicks Steve's butt ;)

Thom says: cajun bean soup? spicey? send me the recipe please!

So, I send Thom the recipe...Later, Thom writes on my "wall": Kris, that was the best bean soup ive ever had. awsome recipie!! thanx again

Ok, so now that Thom actually tried it and didn't die, I get new messages...
Andi chimes in: I think you need to post this recipe!

SO, I DID!

Melanie says: yey, thanks for posting it! I can't wait to make it!!

...and now I'm blogging it too.

A little history on this soup: We used to eat at this place in Fruitland, Idaho called Nichols Steakhouse (I don't know if it's still there or not, but I think it is.) They had awesome bean soup (and the BEST Prime Rib.) So I did what I always do, and came home to reproduce it. I know I shouldn't say this out loud (but I always do,) mine is better. I make it twice a year...Christmas and Easter (that's when we have a left-over ham.)

Cajun Bean Soup
1 lb 13 bean mix (soaked)
2 Tbl olive oil
1 lg onion chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic
juice from one lemon (about 2 Tbl)
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
left-over Christmas ham (my mom sent me a Heavenly Ham from Boise...YUM!)

Cook soaked beans for 1 hour (cover with water by 1 to 1 1/2 inches.) Add ham bone, lemon juice, and tomatoes (the acid and salt will slow down the cooking process on the beans, so make sure they are cooked to your liking before moving on.) In a saute pan cook onion, and green pepper in olive oil, sprinkle with some of the salt. Add garlic, cayenne. Combine the seasoned vegies with the rest of the soup. Add the sugar and the rest of the salt last, taste and adjust seasonings. One of our favorite soups...even better the second day.

1 comment:

Darilyn said...

Thanks for the recipe!