Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Hoola Hoop Day!



I have been asked to do several hoop birthday parties. It is such a fun birthday party...the kids LOVE making them and then you have the perfect activity to do when you're done. So, here is the scoop on my birthday parties:

Hoop-Making Parties...pricing
5 guests minimum

Naked Hoops- undecorated, you provide the tape and stickers. I provide the hoops.
Kid sized hoops $5.00
Adult sized hoops $7.00

Basic Hoops- I provide two colors of tape for each hoop and 30 minutes of instruction for your guests.
Kid sized hoops $8.00
Adult sized hoops $10.00

The WORKS!- I provide sparkle, glitter, and mirror tapes as well as hoops and 30 minutes of fun filled hooping.
Kid sized hoops $11.00
Adult sized hoops $15.00


OK, if you don't live in the Mid-Willamette Valley, or even if you do, and you are a DIY kinda girl...let me walk you through it.


Here is the list of things you will need (for kid hoops):

  • 1 roll of 100 psi 3/4 " irrigation tube (comes in a 100' roll at Home Depot)


  • 3/4" internal couplers


  • decorative tape


  • ratcheting PVC cutter




There is a great tutorial on hooping.org go here to learn how to make your own hoops at home. The only thing I would change about this tutorial is the method used to heat the ends of the irrigation tubing. I like to dip the ends of the tubing in a small pot of boiling water for 4 or 5 seconds instead of using a heat gun or hair drier....much easier and faster. The tape used to "decorate" the hoops is vinyl (electrical) tape, gaffers tape, and metallic tape. Tape can be ordered through identi-tape My advice is to pre-make the hoops and let the kids decorate them. Watch you-tube and learn a few tricks to teach to your guests...it will be the BEST party ever!
Happy Hooping!

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

Oh what fun...just last month I was lamenting the fact that I didn't have your expertise closer for the girls' birthday party.

Although I'm really bad at commenting, I am loving your blog.

The Martin Family said...

I've never been able to keep the hoop going. I used to try and try...back in the day when these things pretty much first came out oh dear....but I just couldn't keep it going. It was sad.

Maybe we need a "mature" girl party..or maybe we'd all pull something....YIKES!

Anyway, it sounds like a wonderful activity and my daughter would have LOVED to have had a hoop party thrown by you. You are officially awesome!!

Katie said...

This looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. We are going to have to try this out.

Kris Farrar said...

Steph,
You can TOTALLY hoop, I got Natalie going not too long ago. As soon as she is done with my "training wheels" hoop and moves on to the big girl hoop, I'll give you a lessson ;)

Our Family said...

Yes Stephanie YOU CAN DO IT. I am almost ready for graduation!! And I did not think I could hula hoop either!

Kris, love the hula hoop party idea. I am pondering it!

Darilyn said...

When did you get into this? I have never heard of anyone making these before and I seem to be missing something, do you teach classes too? Like through park and rec or what? Just curious.

Kris Farrar said...

Yes, I teach classes for parks and rec...we have a blast! I do workshops for adults and parent/child workshops too. It's so fun to watch people hoop...they smile the whole time.

A LDS mother to three busy kids said...

I did not know you did Classes with parents and children!! When do you do those classes??? I would love to sign Diana and I up!! By the way I love the tutorial! I may make one myself...you got to admit, it is a pretty fun way to exercise!

You would be proud of my daughter...At Sabrinas party, My daughter and the missionaries dueled with hooa hoops and she "whipped" em' real good. It was such a laugh to see a 7 year old beat up to poor ol' missionaries. LOL!!

Kris Farrar said...

Check out the Albany P&R activity guide...most of the parent child workshops are scheduled for no-school days. The next one was for President's Day, but it looks like we will be making up our snow days on that day. So, the last one for the term will be on March 23rd. I would love to see you guys there!