Thursday, February 26, 2009

Good News and Bad News

The good news: Steve was "offered" his same job at HP yesterday. We are very relieved and feel very blessed to have made the "cut" in 45% reduction circumstance. When Steve went to work today, he said it was like an unexpected funeral...very depressing. So bad, that he decided to head home shortly after 2:30 and pick up Abby from school on the way.

The bad news: When he got to the school, Abby was a sobbing puddle, but wouldn't talk to him about it....she wanted "to talk to mom" (nice to know SOMEONE considers me useful.)

Here is the e-mail I received from her teacher...luckily I had read it before she walked in the door.

Hello Kris,

I wanted to make you aware of an incident that occurred today in afternoon reading group. Abby received a focus room slip for not doing her job. She and another student were both breaking their pencils instead of doing their work. They were both sent to the focus room for about 20 minutes. I talked with her reading teacher to verify the story. Please let me know if you have any questions. Abby has been doing GREAT in reading! Much improved! Kudos to you guys!

Thanks!Saurra Olesen

The "focus room" is a time out of sorts. This is the second time Abby has had to visit the focus room this year...both times from incidents in reading group. So Abs climbed up on my bed and we talked (she blubbered and I tried to figure out what she was saying.) We agreed she would do a better job concentrating on what she should be doing next time.

Here is the e-mail I sent back to her teacher.

Ms. Olesen,

Thank you, Abby and I talked and I think she now knows that what she was doing was distracting. I'm sorry you have to deal with her drama. I seriously had a hard time listening to the story with a straight face...I don't want her to think I'm laughing at her, but the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth was quite biblical (and entertaining.) ;) Thanks for all you do.

Take care,
Kris Farrar


Thank goodness for being an old mom...I've been through "incidents" with the boys (Kraig spent so much time in the focus room in the 4th grade, I think he should have some sort of plaque dedicated to him) and know everyone survives relatively unscathed. ;)

4 comments:

Darilyn said...

Perfect response. I remember the focus room at a particular school in Albany. It was the catalyst for us pulling Makenzie out of that school and putting her in a pre-K class at the preschool. Not because of the focus room itself but because there was no notification to us as parents.

The Ditto clan said...

So relieved that Steve is still employed! Must be hard to watch all of the changes happening around him.
As for Abby, if the worst thing she is doing is breaking pencils, then i'd say there's not too much to worry about. :)

Alison said...

When I was Abby's age, I got in trouble for telling girls they didn't match! I'd take the pencils any day!

sromriell said...

Oh this is great...I will take focus room in grade school any day over when they get older-Amber got kicked off the kindergarten bus-now she is the perfect sophomore(well almost)...anyways it is hard not to laugh-I can just see you totally..what a great response you gave - I love it :)