Saturday, February 14, 2009

Love Buns


I made yummy "Love Buns" for my family for Valentine's day. They are not overly sweet, but still dessert worthy. The dough is a butter and egg concoction, so don't put it on the "healthy" list either. Mmmmm, we loved them, and I thought you might enjoy this yummy recipe too.


Love Buns

1 1/2 cups warm water

1 1/2 Tbl yeast

1 tsp sugar

Bloom yeast in the water sugar mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes or until "foamy"


5 1/2 - 6 cups flour (I used bread flour, but you could also use all purpose)

1/3 cup powdered milk

1/3 cup sugar

2 tsp salt

1/2 cup butter, melted

2 eggs

2 egg yolks

1 tsp Fiori di Sicilia flavoring

Combine dry ingredients. Mix bloomed yeast with the dry ingredients. Add butter, eggs, and flavoring. Use the dough hook to "knead" the dough for 5 to 7 minutes. Turn dough into a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and rise until almost double (about an hour or hour and a half.) Divide dough into 18 (somewhat) equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope or snake and bring the ends of the rope up and around to the center of the dough (man I wish I had taken a picture of this part.) Squish the bottom to form a "heart." Brush with thinned egg white, sprinkle with sugar if you want. Cover and raise. Bake on parchment lined sheets at 350 for 20 minutes.
Best served warm. You could glaze them if you wanted. I think they would be very yummy with lemon curd, but I only had Harry and David lime curd in the cupboard, so we ate them plain.
ENJOY!!!

3 comments:

A LDS mother to three busy kids said...

Hey Kris!

Where do you find that flavoring? I have never heard of it :)

By the way, I am sore today :P.....thanks for the great workout

Kris Farrar said...

I ordered it from King Arthur flour, but I would check with the Ink Well in Corvallis next time...they have lots of great baking supplies and it would be worth a shot.

Alison said...

Those look like love to me!