Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pot-smokin' Hippie Soap

We're a little earthy here in Oregon. I wonder how many cities besides Eugene have city ordinances that allow both men AND women to wander around in public sans tops. Anyone who has ever been to Eugene Saturday Market or the Oregon Country Fair (I have been to the former, but not the latter) would recognize that they aren't in Kansas any more. OK, that said; I have to admit that while many of the younger set take this whole hippie experience a notch above my comfort level, there are things that go along with all this that I do like...I LIKE recycling, I LIKE raising a garden without chemicals, I LIKE buying local foods and products, plus let's face it, I have really great hippie chick hair. OK here is another thing that is associated with the hippie set that I REALLY LIKE...Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap.
Just reading the label is good clean fun (pun intended.) Dr. Bronner (who wasn't really a Dr., but who's counting,) combed the world to come up with his "all one Faith." The faith, plastered in 3,000-plus words on every quart bottle of soap, has likely been adopted by some, though it's unclear whether anyone but Dr. Bronner ever really understood all of what is printed there. That's the way it is with a philosophy of peace, unity and environment that simultaneously pays tribute to the qualities of Jesus, Karl Marx and Mark Spitz. Though the style of Emmanuel Bronner's message is a bit on the wacky side, it's always made for entertaining reading ... anyway, it's just good soap. It can be used for anything from hair and body to dishes and laundry. I swear it cured Reed's stinky feet and that was a HUGE feat (again, pun intended.)

2 comments:

Darilyn said...

I'm not sure if I've heard of this before. Where do you find it?

Kris Farrar said...

You can find it at any "natural foods" store, or at Target (by the burt's bees stuff. Fred Meyer has it in their organic section. I like the peppermint the best.