Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Kendra


I didn't give birth to Kendra, but I'm her "other mom." In my mind's eye she is still a chatty 5 year old with a big toothy smile, long blond hair, and a sprinkle of freckles across her nose...not the 19 year old, drop dead gorgeous (inside and out,) young woman she has grown into. She is at BYU this year and I miss her.


Kendra told Sarah (her real mom) that the only thing she wanted this year for her birthday was my chocolate almond cheesecake. I was, of course, so happy to do that for her. I baked, Sarah delivered, and Kendra got her wish. Here is the recipe for the cheesecake that Kendra requests every year for her birthday.


Chocolate Almond Cheesecake (for Kendra)
Crust

9 graham crackers, crushed

1/2 cup ground almonds

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup melted butter


Combine, press into the sides and bottom of a spring form pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Cool


Cake

3 8oz packages of cream cheese (room temp)

1 1/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup cocoa

3/4 cup sour cream

2 Tbl flour

2 tsp almond extract

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 eggs (room temp)

1/2 cup almond flavored syrup (like for coffee) or you could use almond flavored liqueur

1/2 cup chopped almonds (toasted)


In the mixer bowl, combine all ingredients (except chopped almonds) and mix on low (so as not to mix in too much air into the batter) Pour into crust, sprinkle with chopped almonds, and bake at 300 for 1 hour...turn off oven, let sit inside oven (with the door closed) for another hour. Chill for at least 2-3 hours before serving.


Happy Birthday Kendra...LOVE YOU!

3 comments:

crazycatlady said...

Looks delicious-my mouth is watering!

Darilyn said...

This is a masterpiece. Yum. I swear my recipe though doesn't have the almond syrup in it. Have you added that bit of loveliness in the past 9 years? I'm going to have to find it.

Kris Farrar said...

You know me, I'm always "teaking" things, I hardly ever make things the same way very long. I think I started experimenting with liqueurs but found the coffee syrup was just as good and much less expensive than the trip to the liquor store.