Friday, March 6, 2009

Now it all makes sense....

1 + 1 + 1= fifth...let me explain.

1. Reed got a rash a couple weeks ago...itched like crazy. We changed our laundry soap, rewashed all his clothes. The rash ran it's course.

2. Ben had a "cold" walked around with cheeks that looked as if he had been slapped (very very rosy) for a couple of days....I kept him home from preschool.

3. Mom wakes up and thinks why do my knees, ankles, and wrists hurt so much? Did I do something in my work out that would cause that? Then I was putting lotion on my legs and asked Steve, "is that a rash?"

Then the light turned on...oh my goodness! We have FIFTH DISEASE! It's mainly a preschool disease, little kids hardly even notice that they have it. Older kids (like Reed) are more uncomfortable...Adults experience pain for WEEKS.

Then I got a pit in my stomach, because the only segment of the population for whom this could be dangerous, is pregnant women. Two of our favorite people...Joel and Lisa (aka Jolisa) are having their first baby. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this baby, I plan to spend plenty of time rocking and snuggling him. I miss having a baby (wistful sigh.) So I started racking my brain...could we have exposed her? The main way to get it would be to share a drink, so I don't think so, but I got right on the phone to Lisa to let her know. Joel runs with my boys all the time, so he needs to make sure he doesn't share water, or anything else with them, for that matter...we need to keep baby Sheldon safe! Sheldon isn't his real name...that's just something Mason came up with and it has kinda stuck. Kinda like when Steve called Kraig Guido during my entire pregnancy ;)

6 comments:

Our Family said...

Well then you better stay away from me too!!

Our Family said...

Just kidding!! :)

april said...

Jackson had really rosy cheeks for a couple of days - along with a cough....makes me wonder. I hope not. He also had a double ear infection so I thought it was all connected to that------hopefully it was. Because there may have been some contamination coming from here to JoeLisa as well :(

Darilyn said...

How are you feeling? I hope it runs it's course fast.

Kate said...

How crazy that you guys had this all hit now. Sam had the exact same thing last year, when I was pregnant with Anna! Crazy isn't it. My Ped was so excited when he saw it ... "a classic case" he said, "can I show our med student!?" Since I wasn't in my first trimester, they weren't concerned. Good luck, what a bear!

Kris Farrar said...

Kate, I'm surprised about fifth where you're at...it's pretty common here, but my understanding is that in colder wintered climates that it is not common. Which is why I didn't get it as a kid, I guess :( Darilyn, I'm pretty stiff in the mornings, my hands and fingers are pretty swollen and the other joints just hurt. But as the day goes on, everyday movement seems to make a big difference. This too shall pass (thank goodness.)