Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Run Like a Girl

I don't think I've kept it a secret that I HATE running, I WANT to like it, but I don't. Steve bribed me a couple of summers ago to run with him for two months. He offered me a new pair of jeans. So, I ran for my two months, bought my hot boutique jeans on him (one size smaller,) and ditched him. Of course, now, the jeans don't fit because I quit running. I know it's great cardio, I just really hate my life while I'm doing it. Of course, it doesn't help that Steve is running backward and around me in circles because I'm so slow.

Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by runners. Steve and Kraig, our friends Joel and Lisa, Sarah, Julene, the list goes on and on. So, I feel a lot of social pressure to run.


Last fall, Lisa started doing a hard sell for me to do the Nike Women's race with her in San Francisco and I kept telling her "you keep forgetting, I HATE running." Then Lisa got pregnant, so I thought I was off the hook. I should have known that Lisa would give birth in July and plan to run a full marathon in October....crazy girl. Crazy and inspiring....OK, I'll give this a second look for 2010. So, I told Lisa I would seriously consider it for next year.


Lisa sent me a novice training schedule, if I started this week (which I am,) I SHOULD be prepared to run a full marathon in October...My plan is to be ready a year from October, but first, I should learn to like running, so that means I need to start now.


Today was the first day of the schedule, I had to run 1 1/2 miles. I did it, I ran the whole time and wasn't totally dying by the end, but I'm SLOW....more than a 12 minute mile. Tomorrow is 3 miles (double trouble,) we'll see how it goes.


I almost hate to blog this, because it makes me seem a little more committed. I won't commit to the full marathon, I may just do the half. But for now, I'm going to learn to LIKE to run like a girl.

5 comments:

A LDS mother to three busy kids said...

How neat! I am running the Newport Marathon in May 2009. I have started training already by starting to run the Starlight run on May 30. You can join us if you would like...Rachael from Exercise Class, and a few other are going as a group with me. BRing a friend along if you want, the more the merrier. Check it out at www.starlightrun.com. It is a family event apart of the rose festival....you run the parade route. Just let me know :)

Darilyn said...

You ran 1 1/2 miles and don't like to run? I've been running for a year now and haven't ran that far yet without stopping. Now I feel like a loser, thanks. Just kidding. You are doing great, you are going to kick some serious hiney by the time you do that marathon.

The Ditto clan said...

I hear you. I still don't LIKE running, but i'm up to 12 miles now. For me it's more of a goal that I set, just to see if I could do it. It's an amazing feeling when you've accomplished something you didn't think you could do.. Good job, I hope you sign up!

Shannon said...

Oh boy!! This rang SO true with me. Would you send me that novice schedule? I may [cough] attempt to get my pudgy butt moving. I love speed-walking, but running? Nope.

But I WANT to like it. I really do. Maybe you will give me that little motivational nudge I need!!

:)

Aubri said...

I like this post! :-) I like this a lot... I want to LOVE running... but for now I only like it. I don't like doing it, but I like how I feel WHEN I do it.

My advice? If you have an iPod... try Nike+ it's great! It records your run, gives you your stats, and it does this all out loud through your headphones. It's like a combination personal trainer/cheerleader. It's the reason I like running to be honest with you.

Good luck!!! I'm rooting for you!