Friday, June 12, 2009

Ice Cream Quest

We have a summer tradition at the Farrar house called Ice Cream Quest.....It is our mission to locate and make THE BEST ice cream recipe...this is our first attempt this summer! We make ice cream every Monday night (just about) and we'd love some recipe suggestions...as long as it's the BEST! The Strawberries are from our garden.

The recipe we used. It is from a cook book called Mormon Cooking...

2 c milk

1 c sugar

1 Tbl flour

1/4 tsp salt

3 egg yolks, slightly beaten

3 c cream

2 tsp vanilla

2 c crushed strawberries

Scald milk. Combine sugar, flour, and salt and whisk into the scalded milk. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir 3 Tbl of hot mixture into egg yolks. Immediately stir back into milk mixture. Return to heat and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture coats a metal spoon.

Stir in cream, vanilla, and berries, chill well....Freeze in ice cream freezer.

I have to admit this was a pretty DARNED GOOD first attempt...could be tough to beat.

6 comments:

family member said...

Where is the recipe???? I got a kitchen aid ice cream maker for my birthday last year!!!
Kaysha

Kris Farrar said...

It's in a old paper back book I've had forever, called Mormon Cooking. I should have posted the recipe too, huh?

Kris Farrar said...

Ok, Kaysha, the recipe is on...BTW, I'm wearing my apron right now :)

Mary Ann said...

Nothing beats home made ice cream.

Melanie said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, YUM!!

family member said...

Glad you like the apron I enjoy making them!!! Fabric is lots of fun to buy. I will try the recipe can't wait. I just decided I wanted to learn to sew this year. Dustin bought me a nice machine. Figured its a nice unique gift for people, and I can't believe how much nice ones at the store are!
kaysha