Thursday, August 6, 2009

Am I there yet?


Someone asked me recently if I'm officially a real runner...and I wasn't really sure. After some deep thought, I'm decidedly NOT a REAL runner yet. This is what I've discovered about real runners.


They are very open and extremely forgiving of bodily functions...runners have funny stories about gas, poop, and pee. I've heard so many "I got out in the boonies on a long run and had to poop" stories...and I don't have one of those stories!!! Therefore, I don't believe I'm a REAL runner yet. And I'm strangely OK with that...I don't need a story that includes the words "prairie doggin' it" or "smokin' the cigar," and quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd tell it with the open glee that I've heard from other runners.


I know, I know....I'm normally so open, but this is one of the few things I'd like to keep private if you don't mind.


HAPPY RUNNING!!! I'm up to almost 7 miles...soon I'll be ready for a half marathon!

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I'm not a real runner either. I simply DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wish to push myself so hard that I wet my pants.

Honestly, why would I do that?

Katie said...

Just so you know...your post a while back about running the Nike Women's marathon has ME running it this year. I was reflecting on why I am running this marathon now that I am running 12+ miles on the weekends and remembered that my interest was peaked because of YOU! I don't consider myself a "real" runner either, but I'll be there soon enough. It won't be so bad. I am actually buying real running gear now like a fuel belt and eating while running. Some day, we'll have to do an endurance race together. Happy Running! and congrats on the 7 miles!

JoeLisa said...

if a poop story makes you a runner you'll have to hear about how i became a runner some day