Monday, December 7, 2009

because I bake...


My dear friend came by today...we are having a play date. We are playing with the C Man at our house so that she can spend all the time she can with her mom. We talked a bit about how she's doing with her mom's stage IV cancer...and we both cried. She is overwhelmed by her own feelings and I felt helpless to help...I can tell her what I believe about the next life, but it doesn't save her from the reality of living this one without her mom and I grieve for her.


So, after we both dried our tears and I sent her on her way, I did what I always do when I feel helpless....I bake. For some reason "doing" something that makes me feel self-sufficient always makes me feel a little better, and that usually involves loaves of bread.


Here is the recipe I made today:

Sourdough Bread


1 cup "fed" sourdough starter
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 Tbl yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 cups bread flour

Directions
1) Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough.
2) Allow the dough to rise, in a covered bowl, until it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
3) Gently divide the dough in half; it'll deflate somewhat.
4) Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves, and place them on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 400°F.
5) place a shallow pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven.
6) Make two fairly deep horizontal slashes in each; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
7) Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden brown. Remove it form the oven, and cool on a rack.

2 comments:

family member said...

I need bread baking lessons!! For obvious reasons I love to bake and it is why I will never be skinny :). You did what a good friend does listen and care. She is lucky to have you.
kaysha

Mary Ann said...

This is the best justification for baking.