Wednesday, March 3, 2010

First Problem Solved

It's Wednesday and we're down to 2 bananas...just a little update.

I decided to make a french toast casserole to try to conserve as much milk as possible this week...the biggest problem that I face this week...Ben has preschool snack on Friday. I'm hoping to use a gallon of the milk we would normally drink for the class. Considering that we started with one gallon down, this will take some planning.

So I "made" milk to use in the french toast casserole, you can't tell the milk is powdered if it's cooked, it's another way I hope to conserve some of our fresh milk. As I went along in the recipe, I realized that I would be using our LAST 1/2 cup of maple syrup in the recipe. CRAP! We would need syrup to pour on the finished french toast. I remembered a recipe I had for cinnamon syrup and decided I should make that...it's really yummy. Here's the recipe just in case you get "stuck" without syrup when it's your week.

Cinnamon Syrup

1 1/3 c sugar
1/3 c water
2/3 c corn syrup
Boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat, and add

1 tsp ground cinnamon
5 oz evaporated milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 Tbl butter.

Serve warm. Store leftover syrup in the fridge.

1 comment:

Our Family said...

ohhh - that sound yummy! Hope all goes well this week with your emergency!