Saturday, March 20, 2010

my girls




These are "the ladies."


Sarah and Natalie got them for me for my birthday...Steve was slightly annoyed. I love them.




As you can see, they are growing like crazy and will need to move from their Rubbermaid tote house soon. I'd better get on that....I'm not sure Steve is willing to help me build a new home for them. He doesn't think fresh eggs are worth all this trouble...plus he figured out that running their heat lamp is costing him $17 a month in electricity and figures you can buy a lot of eggs for $17 a month.



He's such a stick in the mud!

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I'm so happy for you! What variety are they? I didn't know until I wikipediad it, but there are literally hundreds of kinds of chicken breeds.

Nothing against Steve, but I'm pretty sure you could build a coop without his help . . .

Kris Farrar said...

I'm not sure about the black one, the red is a Rhode Island Red and the Yellow is a Leghorn.

I do have a plan for the coop that involves recycling an old stereo consol...but first I have to find one :)

Darilyn said...

Maybe you could buy a lot of eggs for $17 a month but would they be fresh, farm ones? You can't put a price on the convenience of getting them from your backyard or the health factors. Yay for chicks!